Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Salmon Patties



I had a request for salmon recipes, which is one of my favorite fish to eat. My mom made these for us while growing up, though she fried hers in oil. After a few years, she stopped frying and baked them instead. I prefer to save the fat and time, and just use my griddle. They come out great every time, and my kids love them. It's a great way to get in some Omega-3, without paying fresh fish prices!

Ingredients:
1 can salmon (you can find it near the tuna)
about 8 saltine or Ritz crackers (crumbled)
1 egg
garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste

Directions:
Turn your griddle or skillet on medium-low.

Drain the excess water from the salmon, and if you want, pick out the bones. I leave them in since they're soft, and they provide a little extra calcium. Dump the fish into a medium-sized bowl, and take a fork and chop the salmon into smaller pieces. Add the crushed crackers, egg, and seasonings. Mix well with a fork. Make the salmon-mixture into hamburger-sized patties. Place each patty on the griddle or skillet and cook until golden brown. Flip. Cook exactly the same way on the opposite side. Don't be surprised if the edges crumble off a bit while cooking. I usually serve mine with ketchup on the side for dipping! This recipe usually makes four patties, so I double the recipe to feed my family of five.


No comments:

Post a Comment