Sunday, October 18, 2009

How to Roast Your Own Pumpkin


Some of you may have discovered that canned pumpkin is hard to come by this season. I have heard from several people that there is actually a pumpkin shortage this year, which is leading to people all over America searching long and hard for a can of this fall fruit. Thankfully, I had two cans in my pantry from last fall, and I've roasted two pumpkins of my own, which makes way more than a can will hold.

I love roasting my own. It makes me feel a little Martha Stewart-ish, which is fun! In reality, it is super-easy to do, and a great way to use up those pumpkins that your little pumpkins are probably bringing home from your local pumpkin patch.

Ingredients:
1 sugar pie pumpkin (like the one in the picture)

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375.

Cut the stem off of your pumpkin. Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out all of the fibers and seeds. You can toss this all, or keep your seeds to bake for a snack or dry out to plant. Once you have cleaned it out, cut the pumpkin into four equal-sized pieces. Place all four pieces, meat-side down on a large cookie sheet. Cover the entire cookie sheet with foil and bake for 90 minutes. After you pull the pumpkin out, use a fork to remove the meat from the shell. Toss the shell. You can either puree the meat in a food processor, or just mash with a fork. Voila! You have pumpkin puree that is perfect for all kinds of pumpkin recipes. You can store the leftover puree in a covered storage container for several days, or freeze it in quart-sized bags.


5 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting and commenting. Love the BlogFrog! I will definitely be visiting here more often. Love new recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked for something similar to this yesterday and decided that I didn't have anything to make using pumpking and wasn't going to roast on for the heck of it. Thanks for sharing though. I might need it in a month for pies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are lots of pumpkin recipes on here! Pumpkin bread, muffins, waffles, and cheesecake. . .roast that pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything with pumpkin and have been a little panicked about the shortage. I found some @ Whole Foods but I'll have to try roasting my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so easy! I always heard it was hard to do.

    You have lots of great recipes here. Funny, I have a recipe blog by the same name, looks like you are better at posting than me though lol.

    ReplyDelete