Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pumpkin Waffles



I have something to admit. When my husband is at the station, the children and I often eat breakfast for dinner. I don't really know why, but it has become quite the thing to do while Daddy is away. The kids love it because of the taste, and I love it because of the ease. Because of this, I'm always looking for some new breakfast food to try with them.

I have something else to admit. I have an obsession with pumpkin recipes right now. I love how it tastes, smells, and it is so easy to create all kinds of different meals out of this delicious fruit. Put these two things together, and you'll see why I was cruising the web looking for this recipe. Pumpkin waffles. . .aaaaah. They combine two of my current loves. The kids and I loved them, and I think you will, too! This is an adaptation of a recipe that I found after googling (another obsession of mine!) "pumpkin waffles."

Ingredients:

2.5 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2.25 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 eggs (separated)
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup pumpkin puree
6 tablespoons butter (melted)

Directions:

Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, buttermilk, pumpkin, and melted butter until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and mix until combined. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks (like you're making meringue). Fold them gently into your batter, until just combined. Cook waffles as your waffle maker instructions say.


No comments:

Post a Comment