Monday, November 30, 2009

Cider Donuts



I found this recipe a long time ago on a recipe board. I absolutely LOVE apple donuts, so I thought I'd give them a try. I didn't have any white sugar (remember, Tuesday is my grocery day), so I used brown sugar instead. I also didn't have any buttermilk, so I used regular milk with a splash of vinegar. They turned out really well! By the way, this recipe makes a ton of donuts!!

Ingredients:
1 cup apple cider
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup solid vegetable shortening
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil or shortening (for frying)
1 cup cinnamon-sugar (Thankfully, I keep a container of this for cinnamon toast, so I had it!)

Directions:

Pour your frying oil (about three inches deep) in a pan and begin heating it.

Boil the apple cider in a small saucepan until it is reduced to 1/4 cup (8-10 minutes); cool. Beat sugar with shortening until smooth. Add the eggs and mix well, then add your buttermilk and reduced cider. Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in another bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients; mix just enough to combine.

Scoop out a little dough at a time (I used a cookie dough baller) and place in the hot oil. They get golden-colored quickly, so watch them! Flip and smash fairly flat. If you leave them really round, the insides won't cook (take it from me!). Allow the other side to cook to a golden brown. Remove and place on a paper-towel covered plate. While still warm, sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture (or powdered sugar, or make a glaze from powdered sugar and milk).


2 comments:

  1. Great recipe! Can't wait to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I MUST try this recipe. I blogged a few weeks ago about my love for apple cider donuts. http://randommusingsfromasinglegal.blogspot.com/2009/11/fall-is-in-new-england-is-my-favorite.html

    Stopping in from SITS! :)

    ReplyDelete