Thursday, November 12, 2009

Salsa Chicken/Southwest Chicken/Chicken Nachos



I make salsa chicken a lot. It is so versatile! With it you can make tacos, nachos, enchiladas, or make it into Southwest chicken and eat over rice. I'm going to share how to make the salsa chicken, Southwest Chicken, and then share how I use it to make chicken nachos, which is what we're having tonight. I usually use the leftover chicken to make tortilla soup. I'll share that recipe later.

Also, a tip if you're making hard-shelled tacos. Spoon your meat into the shells, top with cheese, and then bake for about five minutes (or until cheese is melted). You will probably need to eat these with a fork, but the flavor is so much better than it is when you bake the shells without the meat.

One other thing: my friend Charlotte emailed me today and told me that she recently had this type of chicken (made into enchiladas). Her recipe called for blending the can of rotel with a package of taco seasoning before pouring it over the chicken. I'm going to try this version of it soon!

Salsa Chicken Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts (I like using the frozen ones from Walmart.)
1/2 jar salsa or 1 can rotel (I had rotel on hand, so that's what I'm using this time.)

Directions:
Place your chicken at the bottom of a crockpot. Add 1/2 jar of salsa or can of rotel. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred and use in tacos, nachos, enchiladas, etc.

Southwest Chicken Ingredients:
2-3 chicken breasts
1/2 jar salsa or 1 can rotel
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can corn (drained)

Directions:
You add everything to the crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred and serve over rice, with sour cream as a topping.

Chicken Nacho Ingredients:
Prepared salsa chicken
1 can refried beans
1 bag tortilla chips
shredded cheese
nacho toppings (sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos, etc.)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Take a tortilla chip and spoon some refried beans onto it. Spoon some of the salsa chicken on it, and cover with shredded cheese. Repeat this for as many tortilla chips as you want to use. Bake for about ten minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve with your favorite toppings.


2 comments:

  1. YUM!!! I particularly love that this is also gluten free, a new must in our household!


    * from SITS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would LOVE the recipe for the enchiladas....i want to learn how to make chicken enchiladas!

    caplingers2002

    ReplyDelete