Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Festive Tossed Salad



So I'm on a bit of a salad kick this week. You'll have to excuse me for that, but please understand that it is finals week for me (in CHEMISTRY!!), so I have very little time to do much true cooking until after Thursday. I made spaghetti in the crockpot last night and this was our side. I first had this over the summer. My friend Amy H. brought it to a Vacation Bible School volunteer lunch, and I gobbled it up. She was so sweet to share the recipe with me. . .thanks, Amy!!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons water
1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
romaine lettuce (chopped)
2 medium tomatoes (seeded and chopped)
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
3/4 cup dried cranberries
almonds (thinly sliced)

Directions:
In a jar with a lid (I used a Mason jar), combine the oil, vinegar, water, and dressing mix. Shake well. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, cranberries, and almonds. Toss these all together. If you're serving for a large group, pour the entire jar of dressing over and toss. If making individual salads, spoon the dressing on and then refrigerate the leftovers.


3 comments:

  1. What is your receipe for sphagetti in the crockpot?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger--I basically just keep it hot in the crockpot. I brown and drain the ground meat, and then add it and one can of diced tomatoes, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and one can (or jar) of sauce to the crockpot. Stir and cook on low all day. Cook your noodles on the stovetop when you're ready to serve.

    It is just sometimes easier for me to cook in the mornings, so I'll just let it simmer all day in the crockpot. I really think the flavor is better, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm....we love a good salad. Stopping by from SITS.:)

    ReplyDelete