Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Scones



My little girl will turn six January 12, but we're celebrating her birthday today with a tea party. The whole family is so excited! We're having a delicious arrangement of cranberry bread, cinnamon-swirl bread, scones, fruit with dip, veggies with dip, lemon curd, cucumber sandwiches, and peanut butter sandwiches. I'm using a mix for the cranberry and cinnamon-swirl breads because of time constraints, but I'm making the scones myself, so I thought I'd share the recipe. Lisa, who I know from church, makes these and they are absolutely outstanding! Eat them while still warm paired with a hot cup of coffee. . .yummy!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup craisins (cut them in half using scissors)
enough boiling water to cover the craisins
2 cups flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cold butter
1 egg yolk (beaten)
8 ounces sour cream

Icing Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400.

Put craisins into boiling water, cover, and let stand for five minutes. Drain well.

Mix the flour, sugar, powder, salt, and soda. Cut in the cold butter and mash with a fork until it is crumbly. Add the craisins and toss to coat them. Make a "well" in the center of the mixture and set it aside.

In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk and sour cream. Add to the "well" of the dry mixture and mix until combined.

Sprinkle flour onto a hard surface and turn the dough out onto it. Roll it into a seven-inch circle. Use a butter knife to cut into wedges. Place the wedges one-inch apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

Drizzle with the icing and serve.

**I am making two batches of these. In the first batch I am using craisins, but in the second batch, I'll be using cinnamon chips. I will not use the icing for the cinnamon scones. You can add whatever fruit or spice you desire. Have fun making them!



No comments:

Post a Comment