Monday, December 21, 2009

Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls/Loaves



It has rolled around again. . .Meatless Monday is here. We're going to have a big pot of navy beans with these gorgeous wheat rolls. I have been wanting to use more whole wheat flour in my cooking, so I thought I would start with these. Some people are super-intimidated by making yeast bread, but please don't be. It is actually quite simple, and though it is time-consuming, it isn't much work. Once you start, you will not want to buy processed bread ever again!

Ingredients:
2 cups warm water
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 package active dry yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
5 cups all-purpose flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add honey, and stir well. Mix in whole wheat flour, salt, and vegetable oil. Work all-purpose flour in gradually. Throw the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead for at least 10 to 15 minutes (I had to have my husband help knead it some). When dough is smooth and elastic, place it in a well-oiled bowl. Turn it several times in the bowl to coat the surface of the dough with the oil, and cover it with a damp cloth. Let it rise in a warm place until doubled, which will take about 45 minutes.


Punch down the dough, and shape into two loaves or rolls (I use muffin tins for this). I made rolls and a loaf. Allow to rise for another 40 minutes. Bake for 25-30 minutes.


6 comments:

  1. Brandi, those rolls look yummy! I was looking for a recipe to make for xmas dinner and this looks perfect! I would just replace the honey with agave nectar. How do you think it would turn out if half of the oil (at least) was replaced with applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine that it wouldn't make that much of a difference in the texture. This is a fairly dense bread, so be prepared for that. I'm anxious to hear how it turns out!! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these rolls look de-lish. I keep trying to do meatless once a week but my barbarian hubby objects! Hope he doesn't start pulling me around the house by my ponytail !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how your directions are easy to follow - even I should be able to manage this haha. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! I may try them for our Christmas dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made these for our Christmas dinner and they were delicious!! I am saving the recipe. They were super easy too!

    ReplyDelete