Friday, January 15, 2010

Frugal Friday & Black-eyed Peas


Sorry that I didn't get this up sooner. We went to the Science Museum with Amanda and her family this morning. Before we left, I put our dinner on. Two weeks ago I bought a bag of dry black-eyed peas for New Years. We ended up eating with my parents, so I didn't get a chance to cook them. This morning I put them in the crockpot with ham hocks and some seasonings. We'll eat these over rice with some fried cornbread (which I'll share later). This is about as frugal as you can get! I actually love meals like this. They feel so homey and the flavors are so intense.

Are you going to share your frugal meals with us today? I certainly hope so! I'm looking forward to seeing what you have, and you never know, there may be a giveaway involved for those who participate. ;)




4 comments:

  1. So, other than the ham hocks, can you tell me what kind of seasonings you put in your black eyed peas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making tuna casserole tonight....easy, cheap, and the whole family eats it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure thing! I just use Tony Chachere's, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and dry parsley flakes. I don't really measure it, because I add a little more of everything throughout the day after I taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a soup. It was really good. I hope you like it. This was fun and I am looking forward to next week. :)

    ReplyDelete