Sunday, January 24, 2010

How to Make Your Own Chili Seasoning


I have always used the McCormick chili seasoning packets to make my chili. It's delicious and fairly inexpensive, but I don't like the sodium levels in those packs, so I'm trying my hand at my own chili seasoning.

I will use 2 tablespoons of the seasoning with one pound ground meat, 1 can fat-free refried beans, one can tomato sauce, one can diced tomatoes, and one can of water. We serve our chili over rice, with Fritos, and extra-sharp cheddar cheese. YUMMO!!

Ingredients:
4 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:
Mix all of this together well. Store in a ziploc bag. Use 2 tablespoons per pound of meat. Add more or less to taste.


10 comments:

  1. ...oooh, we do our chili over Fritos w/sharp cheese (and I add sour cream to mine), too! Just made it last night...with McCormick's of course. Fritos & chili was huge in Texas (lived there for about a year when I was a kid)...called it Frito Pie!

    Will HAVE to try this the next time as I too have to watch our sodium...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny you just posted this, becasue at lunch thinking of writing you about Taco seasoning. I usually use the packet seasoning too, but since we are going dairy free now, I checked the ingredients, and the 1st one is milk!@So, I had to come up with my own seasoning. But I was wondering if you had a recipe for taco seasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya! Thanks, I'll be checking it out. Although, my off-the-cuff recipe turned out pretty good today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this recipe similar to the McCormick packet? I am looking to replace the packet to cut out the sodium, but love the taste we get from it. I just need to make sure it's not spicy (my son is still a bit too young for much of a kick).

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Has anyone made chili using this recipe? I am wondering how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here... looking to find a recipe for the mix, as close as possible. :)

      Delete
  6. The main thing to avoid chili seasoning packets is the hidden MSG in it. Great to make homemade for that reason too,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made chili out of this recipe and turned out awesome thank you for sharing it. I used 3 quarts of stewed tomatoes, 3 quarts of tomato juice, 3 pounds of hamburger drained and 3 large cans of chili beans drained and rinsed cause I don't care for the oil off the chili beans turned out awesome the kids loved it and it is mild I cut the cayenne pepper in half though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice mix. Thanks. I use it all the time now.

    ReplyDelete