Friday, January 8, 2010

Hush Puppies



I don't fry a lot of foods, but red beans and rice just isn't the same without hush puppies, so I'm going for it today! Hopefully they turn out well!

Ingredients:

oil for frying
2 cups cornmeal
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg (beaten)

Directions:
In a deep pot, begin heating your oil for frying.

Combine all of the ingredients together. Add the egg last and mix well. Drop one tablespoon at a time into the hot oil. Make sure not to add too many at a time. When they are a golden brown (after about 3 minutes), remove from the oil. Serve warm.


4 comments:

  1. Being from the Midwest, I have to admit, I've only tried Red Beans and Rice once, and I can't remember ever having Hush Puppies. But man, they sure sound good! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love hush puppies with my red beans. We eat red beans and rice as a staple around here. Sounds like a good recipe for hush puppies. I have to admit I have never made them from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds yummy!!! Do you have a red beans and rice recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family adores hush puppies!!! I have only made them from scratch once, but who knows, maybe I will soon. My sister and I have a blog and on Wednesdays we post a recipe. We'd love to have you come check it out. I know where I'll find some new recipes to try now :) BTW, I hopped on over from an advertisement on Blog Frog.
    teri
    http://acraftyclan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete