Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Perfect Chocolate Cake



I am about to bake this for the first time, so I'm actually unsure if it is truly perfect, but I thought I'd give it a try. I told you that I love to bake when it gets cold, so be on the lookout for more baked goods in the coming days.

Don't forget to be brainstorming on some Frugal Friday ideas. I am really hoping to have a good turnout of recipes to add to my collection, and to showcase your blog! I'll post the link on Friday morning. If you don't have a blog, but would like to participate, leave your Frugal Friday post in the comments section.

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups flour
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup boiling water

I'm going to use this frosting recipe.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on with an electric mixer on medium speed for two minutes. Stir in the boiling water. Your batter will be thin!

Pour into a 9x13 baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.




4 comments:

  1. Mmm, this looks good. I might have to bake try it, then take it to the neighbor. =) For frugal friday, what about red beans and rice, or just beans? We love red beans and rice, adn I use Louis Armstrong's recipe I found online. Saute onions and garlic, put beans in the crockpot with sausage and onions and garlic with some Tony chechares, or whatever it is, the creole seasoning.
    oh, and my mom always adds a little coke to her beans so they won't make us gassy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I meant to answer your question. Yes, we have moved to alot of natural foods, it's expensive, but worth it to have my family healthy. Ya, I make a lot of our bread now, and since I've discovered the milk alternatives we can have, I use those instead. But I haven't figured out how to make my best recipe, banana bread, becuase the ingredient that makes it so good is buttermilk, it makes it really moist. Don't have a sub for that yet. I've gone to using water a lot instead milk, like in icing and stuff. Usually, if I just make it homemade, it's no big deal, it's the foreign ingredients that I can't read in processed food that aren't so good for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's early and so I may be missing something, but I don't see cocoa in your ingredients list. This recipe looks delish and I'd love to try it. Could you tell me the measurement for the cocoa? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh-oh! Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Tammy. I guess I overlooked it, but it's there now.

    ReplyDelete