Friday, January 8, 2010

Red Beans and Rice



For my Frugal Friday contribution, I'm preparing red beans and rice, hushpuppies, and Scotcharoos. My daddy is in the oil field, so when I was ten he was transferred to South Louisiana. Talk about delicious foods! Gumbo, jambalaya, shrimp creole, and red beans and
rice. . .the flavors in those foods are just amazing. If you haven't ever had any of those, I highly suggest you try them out!

Red beans and rice is also called "Wash Day" food, because long ago the housewives would put a big pot on to cook all day while they tended their laundry. I think that's a great idea! It's hearty and easy, and a great way to get proteins into your family.

Ingredients:

1 pound red beans (rinsed and drained)
1 package of your favorite sausage (cut into bite-sized pieces)
2 cups rice (cooked)
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon Tony Chacheres (I actually use a little more than that!)
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
splash of hot sauce (optional)
6 cups of water

Directions:

In a large pot, dump in the beans, water, hot sauce, and seasonings. Bring all of this to a boil and then reduce to medium-low. Simmer for about 2.5 hours, or until beans are tender. Season more if you need. About 30 minutes before serving, add the sausage. Serve over rice with a sprinkle of cheese and maybe another splash of hot sauce.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds really yummy! I LOVE any meal with beans but my hubby hates beans (so sad, I know). Love your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!!! Thanks! We had ours last night. But now I never thought of hush puppies with it. I think I'll have to try that sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beans and rice together. My Ole Sweetie-Pi doesn't like rice so boo on him, grins. I would like a big bowl of this!

    ReplyDelete