Monday, January 4, 2010

Sweetie Pie's Mac & Cheese



I found this Meatless Monday recipe over at Carrie's blog. Carrie has experimented with several mac and cheese recipes, but she claims that this one was perfect. This mac and cheese was even featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," and you can see that clip over at Carrie's site. Mac and cheese is pure comfort food, and everyone needs some of that every once in a while, huh? I'm actually going to make this on Wednesday, so I'll post the pictures then, but I wanted to share the recipe today. Thanks, Carrie!

**Update: I made this tonight and it was *so* good! Sorry Mrs. Sweetie Pie, but I just could not bring myself to add two sticks of butter, whole milk, and two pounds of cheese! I added one stick, 2% milk, and only half of the cheese that it called for, but it turned out really rich and tasty. My kids all ate two platefuls. It make a TON of food, so maybe think about preparing it when you're expecting company.

Ingredients:
1 pound elbow macaroni pasta
1 cup whole milk
2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 sticks butter (cut into small pieces)
1 pound Colby-Jack cheese (shredded. Carrie says to shred it yourself. The bagged kind has flour on it which will effect the consistency of your mac & cheese.)
1/2 pound Cheddar cheese (shredded)
1 pound Velveeta cheese (cubed)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to the package directions. In a large bowl combine the whole milk, evaporated milk, sour cream, and eggs. Mix with a whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the butter, Colby-Jack, Cheddar, and Velveeta cheeses to the pasta. Reserve a cup of cheese to sprinkle on the top.

Pour the cooked pasta noodles into the cheese mixture and season with salt, pepper and sugar and toss. Transfer the noodle-cheese mixture to a 9x13 pan. Sprinkle the top of the pasta with the remaining cup of cheese. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like HEAVEN!!! It might even be worth ALL my Weight Watchers bonus points this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummo! Mac and cheese is my favorite. I might have to make this!

    ReplyDelete