Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Carie's Marinara Sauce



My friend Carie shared this marinara sauce with me. She got it from another mother in her mom's group, and tweaked it to meet her family's needs. I took her version and tweaked it to our taste, also. It makes a huge pot, so I browned a pound of ground meat and added a little of the marinara sauce to it for a spaghetti dinner. I stored the rest of it in Mason jars, and will use it in different recipes in the next two weeks. You may need to change it up a bit for your taste, but I think that you'll be very happy with it!

I loved the way I could add in any veggies that I wanted in order to make sure that my family received the ultimate amount of vitamins. I grated celery and carrots into mine, then used the food processor to make a smooth sauce. The kids never knew!

I'm going to give you Carie's version of the recipe, but I'll note the changes that I made for my sauce.

Ingredients:
1- 28 oz. can of tomatoes (I used crushed to keep it as smooth as possible.)
1 -15 oz can of stewed tomatoes
1 -10 oz can of V-8 juice
1 – 10 oz can of tomato soup
2 – 10 oz can of chopped mushrooms or fresh mushrooms (I didn't have any of these this time.)
2 – 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
2 – 6 oz cans of tomato paste
3 sweet green peppers (chopped finely) I didn't have these, either.
4 large celery stalks (chopped finely) I actually shredded mine, which wasn't easy to do!
4 medium size onions (chopped finely) I only used one, because I don't love onions.
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar (I actually used three, because I found that the sauce was too strong with only one.)
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon chili powder
10 bay leaves
(I put a couple in, but pulled them right out. I don't like the flavor they give.)
I grated a carrot in, as well.

Directions:
You'll need a large stock pot. Depending on whether you like chunky sauce or smooth (like me!), you may want to use a food processor. I dumped the tomatoes, onion, celery, and carrot into the food processor to get it to the consistency that I like.

After the tomatoes are to your liking, dump everything into the large pot. Cover and cook on low heat for 3-5 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it tastes. I added a little more sugar after I took it off of the heat to achieve a great flavor. Jar it and use it as needed. It's not preserved, so I wouldn't use it after the two-week mark, but that's just me.


1 comment:

  1. I gave you the HAppy award on my blog because you make me happy!! Go check it out.

    ReplyDelete