Monday, February 15, 2010

Fast and Hearty Tomato Soup



This meatless Monday meal is my new favorite soup! My friend Shaun passed this along in our parenting forum. My sister made it and told me how great it was, so I made it on Thursday to go along with the slider burgers and it made so much that we ate it on Friday, too. I served it with grilled cheese sandwiches on Friday, and it was such a quick and delicious meal, that it may become a regular in my rotation.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic (finely chopped/I used jarred minced garlic.)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1.5 teaspoons chopped fresh basil OR 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
6 ounces cream cheese (I actually just used an 8 ounce package, since I had it on hand.)
1 1/4 cups milk
2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
2 (14.5 ounce) cans whole tomatoes (undrained)

Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter for about two minutes, or until the onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in the paprika, basil, and cream cheese. Gradually stir in milk and soup. Beat with an electric mixer or wire whisk until the cream cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Stir in the tomatoes, breaking them with a fork or cutting with kitchen shears. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently until hot.



6 comments:

  1. brandi! the broccoli cheese soup was amazing! thanks so much for the recipe. I will be trying the sliders sometime this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love new soup recipes!! SO HAPPY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. delicious soup! perfect for a cold day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm adding this to my menu for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made this today. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete