Wednesday, March 17, 2010

White Bean Chicken Chili


Hello all! Sorry that I have been MIA for the last week. I found myself spending *way* too much time on the computer, and desperately needed a break. I have three young children who need me to be present in their lives, and not glued to the computer screen or iPhone, you know? I am going to continue posting here, but probably not every day. I appreciate those of you who have been checking in on me, though! I'm still here and all is well.

I love to cook during nap time. It gives me some time to myself to really play around in the kitchen. I just put all four (yes, I have an extra today) down for naptime/rest time, and put a pot of this on the stove. I found the recipe here, and it looked too good to pass up! The longer this simmers, the better it is, so it should be perfect by dinner time. We eat around 5-5:30. What time do you all have dinner? Do you eat as a family or do the kids get served before the adults? Tell me about your mealtime routines. I

I'd really like for my blog to be a bit more interactive. I'd love for you all to comment to me. I'll do my best to respond! I also want you to remember my community over on the left side bar. It's been pretty lonely lately. ;) Strike up a discussion about anything you want! I love to interact with other mamas, but you all know how difficult that is when you're raising a family. Let's do it via the internet, huh?

I have taken a picture of the ingredients, and will download it with the finished product later this evening.

On to the recipe, shall we?

Ingredients:
7 cups chicken broth (I used 3.5 cans.)
4 (15 ounce)cans Great Northern beans
1 teaspoon parsley (not pictured)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
1.25 pounds chicken breast (cubed)
1 cup onion (diced--I didn't have an onion, so I used minced.)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1 jalapeno (chopped)
1 cup cilantro

Directions:
In a large pot, bring the chicken broth and beans to a boil. Add all of the seasonings, and reduce the heat to medium. Allow it to simmer.

In a saute pan, cook the cubed chicken in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Transfer to large pot.

In the saute pan, add the last two tablespoons of oil, and cook the onion, garlic, and jalapeno for about five minutes. Add half of the cilantro and saute for a few seconds. Pour all of the veggies in the pot.

Allow to simmer for at least 30 minutes, but the longer the better. You can use a potato masher to mash up some of the beans for a thicker soup. Before serving, add the remaining cilantro.

This could easily be a meatless dish by substituting vegetable broth for chicken and leaving out the chicken pieces. Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. I have made several of your recipes! keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed you, Brandi! Glad to have you back. With my baby, it's difficult to comment on every post, but I do try to read every post. I've tried lots of your recipes, and I'm thankful for the work you put into this blog. I think it's great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had this before. I will have to start getting some new things out and trying them. I have been wanting to cook but just seem too busy right now. Glad you are back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get what you say about the computer. I need to put guidelines on myself. I love chicken chili and I love reading your recipes! We eat dinner at 6:15 because that is when hubby gets home and we do it together. =)

    ReplyDelete