Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Pot Roast

Do you all have memories of Sunday lunches at your home or your grandparents' home? I do! My Maw-Maw Morgan could fry some chicken and make some rice and gravy like no other. She still can, by-the-way. We moved away from her when I was ten, but I can still recall the smell of her house after mass on Sundays. I try to make a big Sunday lunch as often as I can. My parents and my brother and his family often join us, and I love having my house smell so "homey" while everyone is chatting. I even fry chicken that is *almost* as good as Maw-Maw's!

My husband is at the station today, so I didn't make a large lunch, but I did make a pot roast last night and wanted to share how I make it. I did eat the leftovers for lunch, so it still counts as my Sunday lunch, right? It's really easy (I mean REALLY!), and is the most delicious way that I've found. I've experimented with different roast recipes since I was first married, but this one hasn't let me down yet. How do you prepare your roast?

I didn't take pictures today.

Ingredients:
1 beef roast (You could probably use a pork roast, but I don't like pork.)
1 potato for each person you're serving (peeled and cut into large cubes)
2 carrots for each person you're serving (peeled and cut into large pieces)
1/2 bottle ranch dressing
1 package dry onion soup mix

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325. If you want to cook it faster, you can up it to 350.

Place your roast in the center of a large baking dish. Surround the roast with your carrots and potato pieces. Pour 1/2 bottle of ranch dressing all over the roast and the veggies. You don't want it soaking, but make sure each piece has some on it. Pour the package of onion soup mix over the top of everything. Place foil over the dish. Bake for 3 hours (the longer and slower it cooks, the more tender the roast). It makes a fantastic gravy-like sauce. Yummy!


No comments:

Post a Comment