Monday, April 19, 2010

Vegetable Broth

Good Meatless Monday morning to you all! I'm on my way to take my newly-turned two-year-old to his well-child check, but upon return I am planning to make a big batch of vegetable broth. This broth is great to use in any recipe that calls for broth, and is so much healthier than the canned stuff! You can freeze it in 1.5 cup batches to use in your future recipes.

It's also a great way to use up veggies in your fridge before they go bad. That's what I'm doing. I've mentioned before that my brother is a chef. He's also my neighbor, which comes in quite handy at times! Last week he attended a food show, where they loaded him up with cheesecake and vegetables. Then he gave all of it to me! I now have carrots, turnips, bok choy, fennel, sunbursts (baby squash), and green beans to use up. However, the cheesecake won't go into the broth! Ha!

Ingredients:
any clean, whole, unpeeled vegetable you want
Most veggie broths have celery, mushrooms, and onion...the rest is up to you. I'm putting mushrooms, onion, turnips, green beans, bok choy, and squash into mine.
3 cloves of garlic (peeled and smashed slightly to bring out the flavor)
1 gallon water
salt and pepper to taste
fresh herbs if you have them

Directions:
In a large stock pot, throw in your veggies. There is no need to peel (I am taking the papery skin off of the onion first) or chop them. The skin is full of rich vitamins and flavors. Cover with one gallon of water. Toss in the garlic. Season to taste, and throw in whole, fresh herbs like parsley if you have it. If not, it's fine. Allow it to come to a boil, then lower the heat and allow it to simmer for at least an hour. Strain the vegetables out with a colander. Most of their nutritional value will have boiled out into the water, but they still contain some fiber, so munch on them if you want. Freeze the broth in 1.5 cup batches for later use.


1 comment:

  1. You can never have enough veggie broth on hand...I used it just tonight in Red lentil/Cabbage soup along with the baked brown rice we are having with it!

    I'm so glad you joined us for kinderGARDENS...yes kids do indeed need to learn what 'real food' is and where is comes from! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Feel free to link up to Thursday's post if you have anything gardening to share! Kim

    ReplyDelete