Thursday, May 20, 2010

Blossoms, Stakes, & Coffee Grounds

It's time for my garden update. I wish you all could see how much everything is growing! The picture above is one of our four pumpkin plants that are growing in our front bed. We planted pumpkins last year and had four return this season. I think those big, green leaves are so pretty!
These are some of the petunias that my kids bought me for Mother's Day. The other green plants that are growing in there with them are zinnia sprouts that I am growing from seeds. I cannot wait to watch them bloom! I anticipate that it will happen in the next couple of weeks, so I'll be sure to get pictures of them.
We staked our tomatoes and noticed that we have our first tomato blooms. That pretty yellow flower will *hopefully* be a juicy red tomato very soon.

Did you know that you can get used coffee grounds from Starbucks to use in the soil of your garden? This kind of thing is right up my alley! We try to be as "green" as possible in our home, so using something "old" to give life to my plants is awesome. Check out this web post to find out more information on this subject.

Growing a garden is truly one of life's simple pleasures. The children and I are excited to see the growth every day, and they are more than eager to help any way they can. We're already brainstorming on how we can make a bigger version next year!


1 comment:

  1. Great use of coffee grounds! I too love pumpkin leaves, so big and vibrant...great post! Kim

    ReplyDelete