Monday, May 31, 2010

Caprese Salad



Happy Memorial Day, friends! What's everyone doing today? I hope you're enjoying your day off, soaking in the the sun, and remembering those lost.

Since Memorial Day is the unofficial kickoff to summer, I decided that I needed to post this Caprese salad recipe. It is meatless, so it goes along with our Meatless Memorial Monday...perfect! It's so simple, delicious, healthy, and pretty. It has all kinds of summertime flavors and is perfect to take on picnics.

I just made a portion that would feed as a side dish for two or a main dish for one. You can double or triple the recipe easily.

Ingredients:
6 cherry tomatoes
several fresh basil leaves (10 or 12 leaves)
4 or 5 slices of fresh mozzarella
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Dice the tomatoes and mozzarella into bite-size pieces. Chop the basil up. Toss these three things together in a salad bowl.

In a small bowl, mix the oil and vinegar. Drizzle over the tomato, basil, and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Toss well.


2 comments:

  1. I love love this!! I like to add pasta too. AND I can't wait to hear how those burgers turn out!!

    ReplyDelete