Monday, June 14, 2010

Tortellini Casserole



Hello old friends! I'm so sorry that I've been MIA for over a week. Before becoming a stay-at-home-mom, I was an elementary school teacher. I haven't worked since our oldest was born over six years ago, but I decided that I wanted to dip my toes back in for a little bit. I am teaching first grade in an inner-city school for a six-week summer school session. Man, you working moms have my admiration! The juggling and dodging and running is more than I was planning for! Not that SAHMs don't also have lots to juggle, dodge, and run from...it's just that I was in a SAHM groove, and now I'm out of any kind of groove. Oh well, it's just six weeks, right? So, needless to say, the blog has taken a back burner. I actually have several recipes that I have made and are ready to be blogged about, so be on the lookout for more in the coming days.

I'm ready to post a Meatless Monday dish. I made this ten days ago (before I started working) and am just now able to post about it. The recipe was given to me by my online friend, Shaun. She has given me tons of delicious meatless dishes (she's a vegetarian). This is so good...it's almost like a pot pie made with tortellini. Yummy!

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 medium onion (chopped--I didn't have one.)
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Gouda cheese (4 ounces)
3/4 cup frozen sweet peas (thawed)
9 ounces refrigerated tortellini
1/2 cup Ritz crackers (crushed)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Cook the carrots, onion, and mushrooms in the butter for about five minutes. Stir in the flour and salt. Gradually add the milk; stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly, and then remove from heat. Stir in cheese, peas, and tortellini. Spoon into 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle with crackers. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.


4 comments:

  1. I made a variation of this tonight (using what I had) and it was delicious. I shredded a zucchini with the carrot, cooked it with the onion and mushroom, added 1/4 of a brick of cream cheese (just so happened to be in the fridge) with the flour and milk. Mixed that with the tortellini and sprinkled a little grated parmesan on top. I covered it to bake because my tortellini was frozen. My 16 month old devoured it! Thanks for the inspiration, I love recipes like this that are easy to work around what's on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome, LeAnna! Thanks for sharing your version. I also love recipes that are easy to work with!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great - thanks for sharing! And good luck with your teaching!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments on the pics. I just saw it, I haven't been on much lately with all the craziness.
    I think we should have more babies too!
    My blog frog, I don't know what is going on. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete