Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Can't Leave Alone Bars


After school snacks--they're a big part of why I love being a stay-at-home mama. When I was growing up, I always anticipated what my mama was going to have ready for us when we walked in the door from school. I was especially pleased if it was some sort of baked good! Our four-year-old started all-day PreK this year, and every day when I pick him up he asks me "what I cooked for him." He has only been in school for three weeks and he already anticipates his after school snack...I love it! He's going to be thrilled to smell this when he walks in the door.

I don't know which of the recipe sites that I visit offered this recipe up, but I do thank you! I have had an ongoing love affair with sweetened condensed milk since I was a tiny girl. My mama has the same love. She actually asked her grandma for a can of it on her eighth birthday, and she received it. Ha! Anything made with this ingredient is a sure-fire hit for me

Ingredients:
1 box white or yellow cake mix (I used white.)
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup chocolate chips
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/4 stick butter (cubed)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, and oil together. Press two-thirds of the mixture in a 9x13 baking dish. You'll probably need to use your fingers for this part!

In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk, chocolate chips, and butter. Microwave uncovered until the chips and butter are melted (about 2 minutes on high). Stir until smooth. Pour over the crust.

Drop teaspoonfuls of the remaining cake mixture over the top of the chocolate. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light brown. Cool before cutting.


3 comments:

  1. Okay, THAT sounds wonderful!! And my SIL is the same with the sweetened condensed milk. She goes on and on about how she tries to eat healthy, but if you wave a can of that stuff in her face, you'd better get out of her way or somebody's going to get hurt. Ha!!

    Have you ever made caramel by boiling the milk in the can? If you haven't tried it, you've got to. It makes a super yummy and easy pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see a pic.....is this a wet kind of cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!! You know I'm going to have to make this now. I share that love of sweetened condensed milk. It was an ingredient in EVERY smoothie I made when I was in high school.
    I'm awarding you the "Beautiful Blogger" award. I enjoy your recipes, thanks for sharing. Here is the link for details and the award button if you chose to post it: http://homeschoolblogger.com/greensburg/783701/

    ReplyDelete