Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Granola Bars



My online friend Carie shared this recipe, and I just had to give it a try. I'm always looking for new breakfast ideas for my kids, and these should be great for that. I do have to say that I don't think they have the typical granola bar texture. They're more of a "healthy cookie" texture, but my kids will love that! I'll just wrap them individually in plastic wrap and voila--quick and healthy breakfast!

Ingredients:
2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ or ground flax seed (I used milled flax seed.)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour (or ¾ cup all-purpose flour & ¼ cup soy flour or sorghum flour)
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I forgot to set it out for the picture.)

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, oil and vanilla. Mix well using your hands or a spatula. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.

Bake 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be too hard to cut.


3 comments:

  1. They look delicious and I'd love to go make some right this moment - but I know we don't have wheat germ or flax seed. So, it's time to add to my shopping list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back! Hope the sick resolves itself soon. And these do look delicious. Once I'm finished with my diet, I'll be trying them out myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just thought, why can't I make these for my kids anyway? I'm always trying to find ways to sneak in flax seed. Did you know it will build and repair brain neurons, or something like that? I'm not a doctor, but Benjamin's aspergers has nearly disappeared since we started him on it.
    AND they are dairy free for little girly, so double points for the Myktyiuk kids!

    ReplyDelete