Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pioneer Woman's Best Baked Beans Ever



This is a PW recipe. She made it over the Fourth of July, and I saved the recipe knowing that one day I would make it. I was WAY too sick in July to even consider making it then, but now that I'm back on my feet, I decided to give it a try. I have sneaked into the kitchen four times to *try* bites of it...truly amazing baked beans! These would be a great football food for all you college football fans! We're eating ours with homemade mac & cheese. Can't wait!

Ingredients:
8 slices bacon, halved
1 medium onion (diced small)
1/2 medium green pepper (diced) I used a jalapeno instead.
3 large cans (28 ounces each) pork and beans (I used six small cans.)
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup distilled or cider vinegar
2 teaspoons dry mustard or 2 tablespoons Dijon

Directions:
Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Fry bacon in a large, deep sautee pan until bacon has partially cooked and released about 1/4 cup drippings. Remove the bacon from your pan and drain on paper towels. Add onions and peppers to the drippings in the pan and sautee until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.

Pour flavored beans into a greased 9x13 pan. Top with the bacon, then bake until beans are bubbly and sauce is the consistency of pancake syrup, about 2 hours. Let stand to thicken slightly and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment