Monday, October 11, 2010

Pumpkin Bars




October means pumpkin patches, pumpkin carving, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin waffles, and pumpkin bars. I'll admit that I probably overuse pumpkin during the fall, but my kids love the taste; it's healthy, and great in so many recipes!

This was actually my first time to make pumpkin bars, but they are a new favorite! I got this recipe here. She has so many great recipes to try, and she agrees that these pumpkin bars are fabulous!

I do have pictures, but haven't downloaded them quite yet. They should be up later this evening.

Bar Ingredients:
4 large eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, melted
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Frosting Ingredients:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional, but definitely needed, in my opinion!)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.

In a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs well, add in the sugar and butter and mix well. Add the pumpkin and vanilla and mix. Add the flour and spices and mix well. Spread in a 9 x 13-inch greased pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until done. Allow to completely cool.

For the frosting: In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar until just mixed. Stir in pecans. When the bars are cool, frost. Cut into squares and serve.


1 comment:

  1. Girl, there is no such thing as overusing pumpkin!! Not at my house anyway!! I LOVE it. I can't wait to try these, I am sure they are yummy.

    ReplyDelete