Monday, January 3, 2011

Overnight French Toast

I mixed this up last night after I put the kids to bed and then baked it this morning. I thought it would be good, but I had no idea that my family would eat every.last.bite. Oh my! I can already see the day when I'll be making two casserole dishes to feed these hungry mouths. Heaven help our grocery bill!!

I wasn't even able to get a picture of it because it was gone that fast! This recipe was adapted from Mommy's Kitchen.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter (melted)
12 slices bread (I used wheat, but any kind will do.)
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 eggs
1.5 cups milk

Directions:
Pour the melted butter into the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Place six slices of bread over the butter.

In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle half of it over the bread slices. Place the remaining slices on top of the first six slices.

In a larger bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla, and milk together. Pour this mixture over all of the bread, making sure it is all coated evenly. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture over the entire pan. Cover with foil and allow to chill in the refrigerator all night.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. Take off original foil and replace with a new piece. Bake for 30 minutes. Take out of oven and remove foil. Place back in the oven for 15 minutes uncovered. Remove and pour syrup over the top. Place back in the oven for five minutes to allow the syrup to warm.


4 comments:

  1. I am going to cook this TONIGHT!!!! YUMMMYYYYYYYY! It sounds sooooooo delicious!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try one, too. I'm going to half it, though, because my husband has decided he doesn't like french toast anymore. It sounds like it would be a great Sunday morning before church breakfast. Yum, yum, yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made this before and it is great. Have you ever made Eggnog French Toast. Try it you will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making this tonight, and threw in frozen blueberries..I can't wait!! ( I put it together this am, and have been letting it sit in the fridge, waiting to be baked)
    Congrats on the new baby!!

    ReplyDelete