Sunday, February 3, 2013

Oh Two-dles! A Topiary DIY

As I mentioned in my last post, our sweet Nella Caroline will be two on February 5.  To celebrate, we decided to throw her a small family party that was centered around her love for Minnie Mouse.  Are these invitations not the cutest?!  My friend Sarah made them.  The "party" ended up just being our family of seven plus my parents, which was perfect for our reserved Nella.  She had a great time with all of her new "Nin-Nay" (as she pronounces it) stuff.  She even got a Minnie potty so that we can try to get that girl out of diapers! We'll see how that goes...

For decoration, I decided to try to make one of these Minnie topiaries on my own. Here's how I did it.

I used:
~a large styrofoam ball
~two small styrofoam balls
~a piece of styrofoam for the bottom of the clay pot (I used a cone that I had leftover from a previous project.  I cut the tip off s it sat flat.)
~hot glue
~two toothpicks
~tissue paper
~fake flowers that I pulled off of a Hawaiian lei
~a 3/16x 36" dow rod that I cut down to 3/16x12'
~a small clay pot
~Krylon "watermelon" hot pink spray paint
~black spray paint
~a large permanent marker
~ribbon

I started by spray painting the clay pot a hot pink.  It took several coats, and was covered with dead grass at the end, but I got it done!  Between coats of hot pink, I spray painted all of the styrofoam balls, and the dow rod, black.  After all of the paint was dry, I drew black polkadots onto the pot with a permanent marker.  Then I began the assembly.  I placed my extra piece of styrofoam at the bottom of the pot, and hot glued it in place a little. 


I used toothpicks to hold the smaller balls onto the larger one as Minnie's ears.  I then stuck one end of the dow rod into Minnie's "head," and the other end into the secured piece at the bottom of the pot.  I needed a filler, so I used old tissue paper to stuff down into the clay pot.  This is really the trick to hold the extra piece in well!  I then hot glued the fake flowers onto the tissue paper & made Minnie a quick bow to give her a finished look.  That was a quick & simple project to liven up the party table.  The best part was that it was WAY cheaper than the $20 that the etsy shop has them for! For those of you who know me in real life, you know I'm way too cheap for that price!



1 comment:

  1. Love the invitation! Would your friend be able to personalize one for my daughter's birthday? Does she have an Etsy store?

    ReplyDelete